Discover the arresting natural beauty and vibrant cultures of Thailand and Laos on this educational adventure from the metropolis of modern Bangkok to the mighty Mekong River Delta in the heart of rural Indochina. Along the way, meet locals and learn about their cultures, livelihoods and the challenges they face. Gain valuable insight into the community development projects which seek to transform and enrich local lives and take part in them yourself!
- Gain real life understanding of key economic principles
- Consider the ethical dimensions involved in development policies by reflecting on human end-goals and desires
- Develop an international perspective on global issues and raise students’ awareness of their own responsibilities
- Develop values and attitudes that will enable students to achieve a degree of personal commitment, as citizens of an increasingly interdependent world, in trying to resolve global issues.
- Examine key global issues, such as poverty and sustainability to develop an understanding of sociological issues and a concern for human welfare and the quality of the environment.
- Tour the highlights of Bangkok
- Learn about how you can help get kids off the streets of Bangkok
- Experience the Golden Triangle and how opium destroyed the regions development
- Travel the Mekong River, the water highway of Laos
- Luang Prabang Night Market
- Be an upland farmer for the day
- Bamboo rafting
- Cook a Lao dish
- Get up close and personal with an elephant
- Swim in one of South east Asia’s most beautiful waterfalls
- Compare and contrast HDI ranking High and Medium
- Identify factors that contribute to successful development and those that do not
- Descrive how development can be influenced by culture and environment
- Explain importance of riverways to economic and human development
- Evaluate impacts of a community development project